Call to Order: 7:00 p.m.
Present: Lance, Walz, Kitley, McAlister. Absent: Morency. Residents present: Ted and Peggy Beals.
Public Comment: None
Consent Agenda: Kitley motioned with support from Lance to approve the consent agenda with changes to condition #19 in the Aggregate Industries permit renewal, as presented. Aye/all; no/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
- Old Business: Walz gave a report on the last Parks and Recreation Committee meeting. She stated that the walking path is coming in nicely. A sign and book library will be moved out there. A water garden will be forthcoming. New playground equipment has been installed in the Lions Park in Munith and looks good. Because people have extra produce and plants in the fall, they are planning a plant exchange and produce exchange possibly on Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 1:00 p.m. They are applying for another $500 mini grant to possibly put in benches or other needs for the footpath.
- New Business:
- In Morency’s absence, Beals gave an update on what the Planning Commission is working on. The Planning Commission worked on suggestions from the Jackson County Planning Commission to prepare the Draft Amendments to the Waterloo
Township Zoning Ordinance regarding solar energy. They also accepted the text from the attorneys regarding two more amendments to zoning ordinances involving civil infractions which will come up after the July public hearing.
- Beals explained some changes to the Closed Session Act. Need to announce what you are going into closed session for and it also needs to be included in the minutes if an action is taken.
- Lance motioned with support from Kitley to approve recommendations of the Planning Commission to amend the Waterloo Township Zoning Ordinance as presented. Aye/all; no/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
- Lance motioned with support from McAlister to accept the Board meeting dates as presented for July 2019 through June 2020. Aye/all; no/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
- Walz motioned with support from McAlister to accept the quote for a new computer for the clerk from IT Right in the amount of $1,029. Roll call vote: Yes/Kitley, Lance, McAlister, Walz. No/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
- Because there have been no salary increases since 2006, Lance motioned with support from McAlister to increase salaries for the Clerk and Treasurer from $15,000/year to $17,500/year, Trustees and appointees to committees from $65/per diem to $75 per diem, Office Administrator from $12/hr to $14/hr; Deputy Clerk from $12/hr to $13/hr; Supervisor from $12,360 to $13,250/yr. with the Supervisor increase to be deferred until November 2020. Roll call vote: Yes/Lance, McAlister, Walz, Kitley. No/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
- Lance motioned with support from Walz to accept budget amendments in the amount of $5,400. Aye/all; no/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
Other Business That Comes Before The Board: Lance gave an update on the court case regarding Hideaway Lane. He also stated that the “No Thru Trucks” signs will be installed on the roads designated. He also spoke of the property on M-106 wanting a rezoning done on their property. Beals stated that the Township can file for rezoning to the Planning Commission. It would take some time, but an easier process. Setbacks may be an issue because they are a zoned item. Planning Commission will look at it for options.
McAlister asked about a speed study for Seymour and Mt. Hope Road intersection and Mt. Hope and Waterloo Munith Road intersection. The county will be called. Walz said the speed study on Portage Lake Road has not been done yet. They need to be reminded of that, too.
Public Comment: Beals stated that the autumn olive growing at the corner of Waterloo Munith Road from Waterloo is becoming a sight issue for traffic when going straight. It’s an invasive species. We will check into it to having it cut down or trimmed.
Adjournment: Walz motioned with support from McAlister to adjourn at 8:30 p.m. Aye/all; no/none. Absent: Morency. Motion carried.
The next Planning Commission meeting will be on Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:00. The next regular Board meeting will be on Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. This change in date and time is due to schedule conflicts. Copies of our new fiscal year budget may be obtained at the Township Office. Minutes will be published in the Stockbridge Community News at the end of each month, on our website at www.waterlootwpmi.com and on our Facebook page at: waterlootownshipmichigan.
Submitted by: Janice Kitley, Clerk